Monday, November 1, 2010

Why We Need To Fear The Fringe More Than The GOP

I don't know about you, but the past year or so has scared me. I have always been an activist, but did not realize how much so until some very troubled classmates attempted to send me a package from a militia headquartered in Oregon. One of them was just stupid enough to give me a heads up prior to the incident. She said she was contacting Oregon.

When I got notice of two packages from Oregon, I traced the origin of the package to a city in Oregon which happens to be headquarters for a nationwide militia movement. I guess it was the nearest one to Tacoma. I quickly made some additional phone calls. I had already been making reports about threats to my physical safety these three former high school classmates had made to Colorado and Washington officials, the Tacoma prosecutor's office and the FBI. Why was their rage targeted at me? There were a couple of reasons.

One is that I am disabled with MS. Despite this, they feel I am a burden to the system and should basically be eliminated by either violent means or an absence of any government resources to assist me. The other was outraged to find out one of my brothers has not died from AIDS complications. Her brother and my brother dated in high school and her brother passed away from AIDS complications some years ago.  I cannot fathom this logic.

All three of my classmates were victims of child abuse. All three have obviously never addressed their own issues and their hate level, much like the untreated Beck and Hitler take it out on those they perceive to be weaker than them. In this case, it was me, an MS patient.

By the time I got to the post office to retrieve the package, it had been taken by the postal inspector. I high fived the postal clerk informing him this was the best course of action as I did not need to see the hate literature or threats they had sent to me. I hope they are all now on the FBI watch list. They are troubled. But worse, they are violent and troubled. And this is what scares me the most. Untreated survivors of troubled childhoods unleashing their wrath on others. This is what Hitler accomplished. This is what we should fear as Americans. This is why we need to encourage those we know to address any painful personal issues before they become entrenched in fringe politics.- Alison Whiteman

3 comments:

NineInchNachos said...

YIKES!

Tacoma Gawker said...

If I didn't still have the slips from the post office, this story would seem like fiction. But I had already received an e-mail saying my "time is short." Well, here I am. Still going on.

Linda Medrano said...

Yikes is right! This is troublesome to say the least.