Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Hey, You With The Smurf Hair

Sheesh! It's hot. There is one thing MS patients should not do when it's hot. We should not think we can run around doing errands like we did before we got MS.

There I am in line at a major corporate store and I politely ask the clerk if I can check out as the heat is going to make me fall over. Trust me, I know when I am going to fall over. She told me to ask all the people in the line ahead of me. I said, "Really? Every single one of them?" The nearest one was a large woman with smurf colored hair. I have not seen that color since the 80s.

Well, suffice it to say, I did fall. Now MS falls in heat are like ice cream sliding off a cone. It's a melting fall. "Do you want me to call 911?" the clerk asked. Said smurf customer was very angry with me. Now that's some compassion right there. I said, "No. I just need your help to check out and then I need to sit and cool down."

Smurf woman is still really angry. I am not that large. She was very large and very angry and I am on the floor of the store. I was kind of scared. I wondered, "Is this the day I get crushed by a smurf?"

It all ended well. I got checked out, cooled down, and the clerk even gave me some water. Hooray for underpaid clerks and boo to smurfs! -Alison Whiteman

1 comment:

Linda Medrano said...

Oh Alison, I'm so sorry. I know about MS and heat. You just cannot tolerate it at all. It's warm here too or I'd tell you to come down for a while. People can be such assholes! Smurf hair indeed!