Friday, August 12, 2011

My Amazing Grandparents, Sorry I Cannot Get Formatting Right, Text Below...

Grandpa Bryant, my mum, and Grandma Bryant
Grandpa Whiteman and Grandma Whiteman
The truth is I did not spend enough time with my grandparents. Grandma and grandpa Whiteman were in Colorado Springs and not far away from where I grew up. However, I was growing up and therefore was like most teenagers. I was extremely busy growing up.

My grandfather was a union carpenter. My grandmother worked as a dietician. She saved my father's life actually. My father had lost so much weight and the doctors could not figure out why. It was grandma who noticed the toxic streaks reaching from his thyroid to his heart. My father had to have the thyroid removed and this was during a time when the surgery was quite major.

My grandparents in England were simply too far away. Although we were overseas for a few years until 1972, we were in Germany and then Thetford, England. My grandfather was enlisted in the Royal Air Force and was a gunner. He fought the Nazis. After the war, he worked his way up the stock exchange to a seat on the exchange. I remember him as man of few words. However, he apparently wrote poetry which was never found after my grandmother passed away. He hated his curly hair just like I hate mine. However, anyone who knows me knows I am not lost for words. I am only lost for words when I am asleep. My grandma Bryant was very talented and fashionable. She could sew a dress out of curtain or a bed sheet. She was always impeccably dressed, cooked fabulous meals in her very small kitchen in her London house and was very clean. She drank gin and laughed a lot. She used to give me gin and would thank her, run upstairs and throw it down the sink.

I wish I had spent more time with them. I am a religious person. I do believe they are watching over all of the family and I will see them again. I am certain we will catch up then. -Alison Whiteman

3 comments:

meleah rebeccah said...

I guess I am fairly lucky to have spent as much time as I did with my grandparents when I was growing up. However, I did NOT hang out with them when I was a teenager either. It wasn't until my 20's when I reconnected with my family. Fortunately for me, they were all still alive.

And while I may NOT be a very religious person, much like you, I DO I believe they are watching over all of the family.

Tacoma Gawker said...

I am glad you spent time with your grandparents. That is fortunate. Thanks for the kind comment. Alison

syrVIV said...

i can really see you in the pix of your mom, ali.