Thursday, August 18, 2011

Two Separate Discussions With Three People From Kenya In Two Days

Sometimes things are just a coincidence.

However, in the last two days I have talked to three people from Kenya. All of us are in agreement about America. The pace over here is too fast. The focus is too superficial. Americans want money, fancy cars, things that appear to be nice even if they are not paid for.

All of us feel like strangers in a strange land. I have pretty much felt this way since I returned to this country in 1972 from England and Germany. Although things are certainly changing in the European Union lately, I am certain the pace is still nothing compared to the pace of America. It really hit me in 2000 when I was out of the country for eight weeks. When I returned, even the aggressive sounding voice over the airport speaker startled me. I am not ashamed to say I am a sensitive person even if quite outspoken at times.

You can see kindness in the eyes of some people. All three of the people I talked to from Kenya have kind eyes. One of them gave me a hug. We get each other. We know that in America polticians get elected not by the content of character, but by appearances. Then after time, those appearances crumble and we see the truth. Or, the sad thing is, some people don't see the truth because they are too wrapped up in maintaining their own appearance. Some young adults I spoke to today work for low wages in retail. However, they were all really good people. All of them said most young adults could care less about politics or the world. They only care about themselves.

So my country has lost its credit rating. The people that prop themselves up as false prophets under the guise of assisting others when what they are doing is exploiting people for profit will be brought to justice eventually whether it is in this life or the next. I just cannot worry about it anymore. There is one non-profit in Tacoma and the CEO makes 100K a year. That is not charity, it's exploitation. There are others working under the guise of assisting others who make a lot more than the workers I spoke to today. They will have to face the truth someday. They will be found out and it is not my job to make it known. It is their problem.

What puzzles us is people do not realize you cannot take fancy things with you when you die. There was a popular saying on bumper stickers many years ago. It read: He who dies with the most toys still dies. We are all going to die someday. It's a sad truth, and having the fanciest of things or the best looks doesn't change that fact. It also does not change the fact that at any moment any of us could be the victim of a very serious disease. No one is immune to disease. I know I'm not. I have multiple sclerosis and for those who are glad I have this disease, well, it could happen to you too. It could happen to someone you love. I think that might be even worse. I think it would be for me. -Alison Whiteman

No comments: