Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Alice Hoffman, She Takes You Right Into New England

Alice Hoffman

Sometimes you come across a writer who just astounds you. I recently found this in Alice Hoffman's novel "The Probable Future."

The closest I have come to seeing the east coast is Buffalo and Amherst, New York. In the first few pages of her book I am in New England. The novel is set in springtime when flowers burst through snow and ice melts on ponds.

I can literally smell the roses as the novel progresses into summer. I am in a garden feeling the soil.

Finding a writer you truly love is a gift for a reader. It's particularly a gift when you see the long list of novels she has published.

Thank you Alice Hoffman. Writers like you make me wish I had two lifetimes to read all the great novels I want to finish. AW

No comments: