Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Ghost Tooth


It is possible for a tooth to be happier than I am.





Men in a war
If they've lost a limb
Still feel that limb
As they did before
-Suzanne Vega

After enduring my first root canal in my entire life, I still felt that electrical shock the dentist assured me I would not feel anymore while chewing.

I was very happy to hear this after a year of avoiding using the right side of my mouth. That darn tooth! It started hurting again.

I was worried. I was becoming increasingly more upset. I wasn't smiling like the tooth to the right. Then I happened upon some information about "ghost tooth pain."

I don't want anyone to take this as medical advice. I had a serious talk with this ghost tooth. I informed it to stop behaving as if it still existed in its previous state.

I had an out loud conversation with my tooth, but not quite loud enough to startle my neighbors. I sent that tooth to proverbial time out because it is a ghost tooth. I spent over three hours with a dentist and dental assistant during this procedure following the previous dental procedure which was to place a temporary crown on said tooth.

There is nothing quite like being at the mercy of a dentist and seeing tiny bits of tooth flying all around you like the tiny sparks of light one gets when suffering an eye migraine. If you have mistaken an eye migraine for some spiritual awakening or the presence of angels around you, I'm sorry I just informed you of the real cause. Please don't drink the Koolaid.

My tooth stopped hurting the very next morning. Was it my telling the tooth to stop hurting? My therapist informs me human beings have no control. Her name is Bill W. and hence I presume my higher power is the only ones who knows for certain. -AW




No comments: